Academic conference papers
- 2015. “Mixed Messages: Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis on homosexuality.” Paper presentation at the conference “Beyond ‘Lesbians and Gays in the Church’: New Approaches to the Histories of Christianity and Same-Sex Desire”, Birkbeck, University of London, UK, 26 September 2015.
- 2014. “A Disappointing Afterparty? Debates on Marriage Registrars in the Netherlands.” Paper presentation in the pre-arranged session “Nuptial Symbolics beyond the Law: The Construction of Religion and Sexuality in Debates on the Legalization of Same-Sex Marriage” at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, San Diego, CA, USA, 24 November 2014.
- 2014. “The ‘Homophobic’ and the ‘Gay-Friendly’ Pope: Dutch Responses to Statements of Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis I on Homosexuality.” Paper presentation in the pre-arranged session “Contested Privates in Public Debate: The Polarization of Homosexuality and Religion in Contemporary Discourses” at the joined conference of the Dutch Association for the Study of Religion (NGG) and the European Association for the Study of Religions (EASR), also ranked as special conference of the International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR), Groningen, NL, 11 May 2014.
- 2011. “Under the Spell of the Ring: the Role of Marriage in Gender Related Moral Debates.” Seminar paper presented at the conference of the Society for the Study of Theology, York, UK, 13 April 2011.
- 2011. “‘If I be shaven, then my strength will go from me’: a Queer Reading of the Samson Narrative.” Seminar paper presented at the International Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, London, UK, 6 July 2011.
Other academic presentations
- 2016. “De kerk, God en het heilige.” [“The Church, God, and the Sacred.”] Response to prof. Jan Visser, “Het heilige: de bron van religie?” [“The Sacred: Source of Religion?”], Symposium on the 40th anniversary of the Extraordinary Chair of Old Catholic Church Structures at Utrecht University, Ariëns Institute, Utrecht, 9 December 2016.
- 2016. “Een smet op de mooiste dag van je leven: de controverse van de weigerambtenaar.” [“A stain on the most beautiful day of your life: the controversy of the marriage registrars with conscientious objections against conducting same-sex weddings.”] Keynote lecture at the symposium “God, seks en politiek” [“God, Sex and Politics], Religie & Samenleving i.c.w. ForumC and the Amsterdam Center for the Study of Lived Religion (VU), Amsterdam, 13 May 2016.
- 2016. “Conscientious Objectors and the Marrying Kind: Rights and Rites in Dutch Public Discourse on Marriage Registrars with Conscientious Objections against Conducting Same-Sex Weddings”, NOSTER Spring Conference, Soesterberg, 18 April 2016.
- 2015. Response to four papers in the “Queer Utopias and Dystopias” session of the Gay Men and Religion Group at the Annual Meeting of the AAR, Atlanta, GA, USA, 23 November 2015.
- 2015. Contribution to a panel discussion on “Love in (Post)Secular Society”, Amsterdam University College, Amsterdam, NL, 19 May 2015.
- 2014. Response to the lectures by dr. Karin B. Neutel, dr. Erin Wilson and prof. Ruard Ganzevoort at the symposium “Private Parts and Public Debate: Circumcision as a Contested Practice”, Utrecht University, Utrecht, NL, 10 April 2014.
- 2013. “Homoseksualiteit en de kerkelijke roeping van de theoloog.” [“Homosexuality and a theologian’s ecclesial vocation.”] Guest lecture (twice) in Christian Ethics, Theological University, Kampen, 10 April and 31 October 2013.
- 2013. Lecture (and a workshop in two rounds) at the symposium “In de ban van de ring” on sexual relationships, cohabiting and the church, Reformed University of Applied Sciences, Zwolle, 16 January 2013.
- 2012. “Het is niet wat je denkt dat het is: inleiding in de queer theologie.” [“It is not what you think it is: introduction in queer theology.”] Lecture during the Brushing Up Days in Theology and Religious Studies of the Dominican Monastery, Huissen, 23 August 2012.
- 2011. “What Queer Theory and (Queer) Theology have in common, or, why Theology is a Queer Thing.” Paper Presentation at the NOSTER PhD Master Class with prof. dr. Graham Ward, Utrecht, 5 November 2011.
- 2010. “Tegendraadse theologie: een introductie in ‘queer theologie’.” [“Contrary theology: introduction in queer theology.”] Lecture during the Brushing Up Days in Theology and Religious Studies of the Dominican Monastery, Huissen, 28 August 2010.
- 2010. “Steden van God: Graham Wards postmoderne theologie van de stad.” [“Cities of God: Graham Ward’s postmodern theology of the city.”] Seminar paper at a symposium on apologetics, Theological University, Kampen, 23 April 2010.
- 2017. Panel (with David Bos) and paper (“Dutch Debate about Marriage Registrars with Conscientious Objections against Conducting Same-Sex Weddings”) at the International Conference on Religion and Acceptance, Maruf Foundation, Amsterdam, 8 September 2017.
- 2017. Speech and panel contribution at the book launch of Heb je hem weer: 24 preken voor sceptici en andere gelovigen [There he goes again: 24 sermons for sceptics and other believers] by Janneke Stegeman, Catharijneconvent, Utrecht, 15 July 2017.
- 2015. Contribution to a panel on “Gay tolerance in multi-cultural society”, SG Erasmus in association with Erasmus Pride, Rainbow City and RotterdamV, Rotterdam, NL, 24 February 2015.
- 2014. Speech at the closing dinner of the “Religion, Secularism, and Political Belonging” Winter Workshop, Centre for the Humanities, Utrecht University, 18 December 2014.
- 2014. Lecture on homosexuality and the Christian faith for Dutch and German pastors of the Moravian Church, Koningskerk, Amsterdam, 23 September 2014.
- 2014. Welcome speech at the opening session of a working visit of Christian LGBT activists from Eastern Europe, Elthetokerk, Amsterdam, 30 July 2014.
- 2014. Panel member at a meeting on blessing same-sex couples, Protestant Church in Putten, 21 January 2014.
- 2013. Lecture (with Wielie Elhorst) on Queer Theology and Queer Biblical Studies, and workshop on Reading Judges 16 from a Queer Perspective at Pink Sunday afternoon meeting, Lutherse Kerk, Utrecht, 23 June 2013.
- 2013. Lecture on intimate relationships, Reformed Church of Amsterdam Zuid-West, Tituskapel, Amsterdam, 16 June 2013.
- 2012. Lecture on queer theology during the Brushing Up Days in Theology and Religious Studies of the Dominican Monastery, Huissen, 23 August 2012.
- 2012. Workshop on education on sexual diversity at Christian secondary schools using course module Homo in de klas (Queer in school) at the IGLYO conference, Brussels (BE), 3 November 2012.
- 2011. Workshop on education on sexual diversity at Christian secondary schools using course module Homo in de klas at the national meeting for volunteers in LGBT education, organised by COC Netherlands and EduDivers, Zwolle, 29 October 2011.
- 2011. Workshop on education on sexual diversity at Christian secondary schools using course module Homo in de klas at the work conference ‘Gewoon homo zijn op school – een Utrechtse kick-off’ [‘Just being gay at school – a Utrecht kick-off’], organised by the Local Council of Utrecht, MOVISIE and Transfysiko, Utrecht, 11 October 2011.
- 2010. “Homoseksualiteit en religie.” [“Homosexuality and religion.”] Lecture at the Coming Out Event, Heemskerk, 16 October 2010.
- 2010. Lecture on queer theology during the Brushing Up Days in Theology and Religious Studies of the Dominican Monastery, Huissen, 28 August 2010.
- 2010. Lectures on homosexuality and the Christian tradition at the student’s Union GSVA, Amsterdam, 17 March, and at the student’s Union VGSU, Utrecht, 18 February 2010.
- 2009. Lecture on Fight club and masculinity at the student’s union FQI, Kampen, 10 November 2009.
- 2007. Lecture on homosexuality and the Christian tradition at the student’s union VGST, Enschede, 1 March 2007.